The top fishing spots to try on the KZN South Coast
The 120-kilometre coastal stretch from Scottburgh to Port Edward boasts a number of incredible fishing spots for every level of angler, no matter the skill or budget. The year-round temperate climate and calm waters found here make fishing a great recreational option in every season.
Craig Thomassen, a Pennington local, avid fisherman, author of ‘Fishing Yourself Single’ and presenter on SuperSport’s popular ‘Inside Angling’ fishing show, has shared some of the best fishing spots that can be found on the KZN South Coast.
Rock and surf angling hotspots
If you’re looking to cast your line into the fish-filled waters of the warm Indian Ocean or nearby rivers, then there are many shoreside locations and piers to choose from. Here’s a look at the top 10 fishing spots:
- Umkomaas River mouth and beach: These are great spots for anglers of any level, and are known for their great kob and shad catches.
- Scottburgh point: Those looking to catch sharks, shad and garrick should head to this popular Scottburgh fishing spot. It’s ideal for fisherfolk of all levels.
- Rocky Bay: This well-known campsite and beautiful spot for reeling in shad and Garrick. Fishing here is great for any level.
- Umdoni Point and Pennington: If you’re an experienced angler looking for some great fishing, then head on over. These hotspots are known for good queen mackerel, kingfish and shark fishing.
- Stiebel Rocks and Pumula: Two more locations for experienced anglers, you stand a good chance of catching sharks, kob, garrick, shad and pompano in these waters.
- The Sandspit in Port Shepstone: This spot is known for consistent cob action with shad and garrick also caught here. It’s a good choice for anglers of all capabilities.
- Orange Rocks at St Michaels: Another location suited to any angler, expect to catch sharks and gamefish.
- Margate Pier: Get there early morning to find a spot on this pier, renowned for its shad, kob and garrick and suited to all levels.
- Ladder Rock at Glenmore: Experienced anglers looking to catch shark should head to this notable spot.
- Splash Rock in Port Edward: This is another great spot for experienced anglers intent on catching shark and gamefish.
Deep sea angling hotspots
The KZN South Coast, which is home to two Marine Protected Areas at Aliwal Shoal and Protea Banks, is well-known for its great deep sea fishing. There are several companies along the coastline that will allow you to charter a boat out to sea, as well as organised fishing tours throughout the year. Expect to catch everything from yellowfin tuna, amberjack and king mackerel through to dorado, skipjack, sailfish and marlin.
- Umkomaas: For experienced skippers.
- Rocky Bay: An easy launch for all levels of skipper.
- Pennington: For experienced skippers.
- Shelly Beach: For all levels of skipper.
- Port Edward: For all levels of skipper.
When’s the best time to fish along the KZN South Coast?
Although fishing is great along the KZN South Coast throughout the year, expect to catch different species at different times. For summer fishing, you could land shad, bronze bream, pompano, brusher, stumpnose, stone bream, blacktail, cave bass, sharks or flatfish.
Undoubtedly, winter is considered the best time of year for fishing on the KZN South Coast, when you can catch shad, garrick, kob, bronze bream, stumpnose, blacktail and sharks. However, this time of year is an angler’s dream, primarily because of the annual Sardine Run which takes place during the cooler months. During this time, anglers get the chance to cast baits for massive sharks which swim very close to the shore break in search of sardines, as well as gamefish which also feast on the silver fish. Remember to pack strong fishing gear that is capable of handling these sharks and big gamefish. It’s also advisable to use visible lines so that you’re able to differentiate your line from others.